Monday, February 23, 2009

A writer in the making


A writer is born


Being a writer needs talent and it needs skills. One does not become a writer overnight.


With my experience, I get to be baptized and immerged in a writing workshop to become one. First, it started with the university I am connected, Visayas State University (VSU) is chosen as one of the universities to coordinate with the iSchools project under the Commission on Information and Communications Technology.


Last year, I attended an 1-week online writing workshop in Pampanga. It was quite an experience. I get to eat and work at the same time just so I can beat the deadline. Each day, I had to submit my work as an output for the day’s lecture, workshop and activities. It was tiresome, but very fruitful nevertheless. I get to learn to how to write for news features and also how to select a good photo and put an eye-catching caption.


Learning does not just stop there. I have to update an blog so as to practice what I learned. Recently, during the 1st week of February, I attended another training workshop in Argao. (photo taken in Calumpang, Argao on Feb 7, 2009) It is a follow up on the online writing I had in Pampanga.

This time, it included techniques on:

1. how to take photos, good photos;
2. how to do interviews
3. how to edit videos and audio outputs


The training was more on application rather than on theory. The first training was a “nosebleeding” experience, then, the advance training was a “blood-draining” experience. But what can I say? It was all worth it, learning the hard way. It was pure work and yet, I loved it. I get to be a writer, a news editor and a documentation newbie.


For now, I might not be that good yet, but who knows, I will become someday. It is just a matter of: constant correct practice makes it perfect.

No comments: